Take Care of Yourself
Normally healthy patients can do a lot to treat their own minor illnesses during winter. Commonsense, advice from a pharmacist and some of the over-the-counter medicines will cure all sorts of winter illnesses.
- Paracetamol & Ibuprofen: relieve most minor aches including headaches, period pain, sprains and inflammation due to arthritis.
- Dioralyte: re-hydrates the body after diarrhoea or vomiting.
- Antacids: relieve stomach ache, heartburn and trapped wind after over-eating at Christmas!
REMEMBER – all tablets must be kept in sealed containers out of sight and the reach of children.
Things to keep in the First Aid Box or the bathroom cabinet:
- Bandages: to support sprained or broken limbs and to hold pressure pads on deep cuts before being treated at the Minor Injuries Unit.
- Plasters: keep a box of assorted sizes handy. Ensure wounds are clean and dry before applying.
- Antiseptic fluid or cream: use it to clean wounds before applying a plaster or bandage.
Call the surgery and speak to one of our nurses or dial 111 if you are not sure what to do.